Battle Shock

Check out Luna Sea Games to see the iPhone version of Battle Shock in the AppStore now.

Sunday, December 5, 2010

I can see the light

Just wrapped up the last of the issues I had to complete for this port. This weekend I knocked out the loading screen, memory leak on recycle, online score poster, assets larger than 1Mb, encrypting user saved files, and leaving a clean presence on the sdcard ( no sprites or temporary data ). All in all very productive. I'm lucky to have a wife that understands that sometimes I need to disappear in my office for two whole days...

There's really a lot I could share with someone doing a port. A lot of people seem to suggest that you should do a splash screen with an Activity. I didn't really want to do that because I want my main activity to keep focus. That's because it has the opengl surface - and since I want to be loading while we are staring at the pretty loading screen - I have to load textures in the thread of the opengl surface. Or rather, I need to bind them there. I guess I could load the data and bind them later. Oh well. I just made a custom dialog as a splash screen and that worked peachy.

And if you need to encrypt files it's really pretty easy. Here's an article on Sun's site that was helpful. Combine that with this and you have some really good leads on putting it all together. If anyone asks I can post the source.

In that same vein, if someone is looking to make an Android game that uses the cocos live site for highscores, I could share my port of their objective c code.

Hopefully you all will soon be able to play the finished product in an Android Market near you! Stay tuned for release dates.

No comments:

Post a Comment